J&J to pay $417m in lawsuit linking baby powder to cancer

0
57
Print Friendly

A Los Angeles jury on Monday ordered Johnson & Johnson were ordered to pay a record $417 million to a hospitalised woman by a Los Angeles Jury on Monday. The woman, who claimed in a lawsuit that the talc in the company’s iconic baby powder causes ovarian cancer when applied on a regular basis for feminine hygiene.

The verdict in the lawsuit put forward by the California woman, Eva Echeverria, marks the largest sum ever awarded in a series of talcum powder lawsuit verdicts against J&J in courts around the US.

ALSO READ: CPRL says McDonald’s India terminating its franchise is ‘desperate action’

Echeverria alleged Johnson & Johnson failed to warn its customers about the talcum powder’s potential cancer risks. She used the company’s baby powder on a daily basis, beginning in the 1950s until 2016 and was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 2007, according to papers submitted in court.

Echeverria developed ovarian cancer as a “proximate result of the unreasonably dangerous and defective nature of talcum powder,” she said in her lawsuit.

Echeverria’s attorney, Mark Robinson, said his client is hospitalised and undergoing cancer treatment. She told him that she hoped the verdict would lead Johnson & Johnson to put additional warnings on its products.

“Mrs. Echeverria is dying from this ovarian cancer and she said to me all she wanted to do was to help the other women throughout the whole country who have ovarian cancer for using Johnson & Johnson for 20 and 30 years,” Robinson said.

“She really didn’t want sympathy,” he added. “She just wanted to get a message out to help these other women.”

ALSO READ: How can mothers better understand their babies

The jury awarded $68 million in compensatory damages and $340 million in punitive damages, Robinson said. The evidence in the case included internal documents from several decades that “showed the jury that Johnson & Johnson knew about the risks of talc and ovarian cancer,” Robinson said.

“Johnson & Johnson had many warning bells over a 30 year period but failed to warn the women who were buying its product,” he said.

However, the Johnson & Johnson spokeswoman Carol Goodrich said in a statement that the company will appeal the jury’s decision. She says while the company sympathises with women suffering from ovarian cancer but the scientific evidence supports the safety of Johnson’s baby powder.

The verdict came after a St. Louis, Missouri jury in May awarded $110.5 million to a Virginia woman who was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 2012.

She had also blamed her illness on her use of the company’s talcum powder-containing products for more than 40 years.

Apart from these cases, three other trials in St. Louis had similar outcomes last year with juries awarding damages of $72 million, $70.1 million and $55 million, for a combined total of $307.6 million.

Interestingly, a St. Louis jury in March rejected the claims of a Tennessee woman with ovarian and uterine cancer who blamed the same talcum powder for her cancers.

Two similar cases in New Jersey were put to rest by a judge who said the plaintiffs’ lawyers did not present reliable evidence linking talc to ovarian cancer.

More than 1,000 other people have filed similar lawsuits. Some victims who won their lawsuits won much lower amounts, illustrating how juries have wide latitude in awarding monetary damages.

Johnson & Johnson is preparing to defend itself and its baby powder and other products at upcoming trials in the US, Goodrich said.

For more trending and breaking news CLICK HERE